How to Turn Managers into High-Performing Leaders
Face it. In most organizations, leaders are promoted up through the ranks based on their success as individual contributors. But, while they may understand very well how to do the work, most don’t intuitively understand how to manage others doing the work.
Even managers with years of experience often haven’t had formal, ongoing training on how to be a good manager and lead their teams.
That’s where leadership training can come into play. To become high-performing leaders, your new, experienced, and future supervisors and managers need to develop their leadership skills.
“The Leadership Journey’s™ practical approach has been very beneficial to our supervisory staff, as the concepts can be applied immediately.”
Mark Shaw, HR Director, Unverferth Manufacturing
Get instant access to a workshop on conflict resolution.
Choosing the right leadership workshop can help companies ensure that their managers are both productive and effective—and that employees have the leadership they need to be efficient and engaged.
It’s important that leadership workshops represent a good match with an organization’s leadership style and preferences as well as the needs of its current and potential management staff.
Content should be practical rather than academic. Participants should have an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned, share experiences and best practices with colleagues, and be held accountable for achieving real results through their improved leadership skills.
The Leadership Journey is a turnkey curriculum for supervisors and managers of any experience level.
These in-house mini-workshops are customizable to your organization’s needs and environment. They are designed to accommodate the busy schedules of today’s managers.
Using burst learning, short workshops teach supervisors practical how-to skills that they apply to real workplace challenges.
As participants improve their management practices, their teams will also reap the rewards of their participation: The Leadership Journey has a greater impact than a one-time training event because it offers a series of bite-sized workshops focused on developing 10 essential leadership skills. Participants learn just the right amount, never getting overwhelmed with too much information, and they have time to apply what they learn before learning the next set of skills. Follow-up tools hold participants accountable for applying their new skills on the job.
As participants improve their management practices, their teams will also reap the rewards of their participation:
The Leadership Journey has a greater impact than a one-time training event because it offers a series of bite-sized workshops focused on developing 10 essential leadership skills.
Participants learn just the right amount, never getting overwhelmed with too much information, and they have time to apply what they learn before learning the next set of skills.
Follow-up tools hold participants accountable for applying their new skills on the job.
Free Workshop Preview
Learn if this curriculum is a good fit for your supervisors and managers.
Try videos, action plans, follow-up and discussion guides, and more.
The Leadership Journey uses a proprietary burst learning model with a focus on practical application. Built around adult learning principles, it uses five simple but extremely powerful steps:
Step 1 – Learn
Participants learn practical how-to-skills and a step-by-step approach for putting those skills into practice.
Step 2 – Internalize
Attendees gain best practice insights from each other by coming together to discuss, practice, and associate skills to their own workplace situations.
Step 3 – Apply
The ability to immediately apply what they’ve learned on the job is what sets The Leadership Journey apart from other workshops.
Step 4 – Follow-up
Attendees are held accountable for achieving real results based on customized personal action plans they develop and share with their managers.
Step 5 – Repeat
The burst learning model is repeated every few weeks with time between workshops for participants to apply what they’ve learned.
What Will Participants Take Away from This Leadership Workshop?
The Leadership Journey consists of 12 mini-workshops that develop 10 core leadership skills.
1. Accountability: Attendees will learn practical strategies for effectively holding themselves and others accountable.
2. Change Management: Participants will learn how to optimize team productivity, especially during times of change.
3. Coaching & Mentoring: Leaders achieve results through others. They’ll learn how to effectively coach and lead their teams and produce action-oriented results.
4. Communication: Communication drives action. Participants will learn and practice effective verbal and written communication skills.
5. Conflict Resolution: Attendees will learn how to handle conflict productively and rebuild difficult relationships. Try the workshop titled “Build Accountability and Trust with Positive Confrontations.”
6. Empowerment: The Leadership Journey offers a five-step model for giving clear direction and how to work through others to achieve desired goals.
7. Motivation: Participants will learn motivation strategies, how to respond to adversity, and how to get maximum effort from followers—even poor performers.
8. Professionalism: Attendees will learn how to communicate using professional language, how to develop productive habits, and how to earn the trust and respect of others.
9. Relationship Building: The Leadership Journey covers the importance of candor and truthfulness, how to be consistent in words and actions, and how to build strong teams.
10. Teamwork: Participants will learn the key characteristics of high-performing teams, how to build those teams, and how to overcome common team pitfalls.
These are the skills high-performing supervisors and managers need. The Leadership Journey helps current and future leaders develop effective leadership skills through a turnkey curriculum that can be customized to meet your unique needs.
“Our leaders are developing skills to effectively speak with their people and control situations through stronger communication. They are taking on more responsibility and are more comfortable leading people and running their departments.”
Cheryl Webster, CEO/President, Noren Thermal Solutions
Who Is the Audience?
The Leadership Journey is for team leaders, supervisors, and managers, especially those promoted into positions based on their job and technical skills.
This leadership workshop will benefit:
- Team leaders
- New managers
- First-time supervisors
- Frontline leaders
- Informal leaders
- High potentials
- Bench strength
How Is the Workshop Delivered?
The Leadership Journey offers a variety of in-house delivery formats for self-paced or group instruction:
Any device, anytime.
Zoom and webinars.
30 or 60 minutes
Face to face.
30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes
A combination of methods.
30, 60, or 90 minutes
E-learning (20–30 minutes for each workshop)
- Participants have complete flexibility over when and where they learn and the device they use to complete modules.
- Learning is individualized. Each student can progress at their own pace and retake courses as often as they like.
- Participants receive the same consistent messages regardless of their location or shift.
- It is quick and easy to roll out, use, implement, and manage. There’s no need to find and schedule times when everyone can attend training.
- Automatic tracking and reporting make it easy to follow up and hold supervisors and managers accountable.
- Group study materials are included to reinforce e-learning.
Group learning formats for The Leadership Journey include classroom, blended, and virtual.
Classroom (30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes in face-to-face group workshops)
- Flexibility in choosing how long group sessions last.
- The curriculum and all materials for in-house group workshops are provided.
- Students are accountable for applying skills back on the job. It is easy to follow up on workplace application of new skills and to share success stories.
- Participants discuss new ideas and share past experiences, learning from their classmates as well as from the course materials.
Virtual (30– or 60–minute virtual workshops)
- Virtual group workshops can be run wherever participants are located.
- All of the benefits of classroom instruction across multiple locations or settings.
Blended Learning (30-, 60-, or 90-minute sessions)
- Blended learning is a combination of self-paced and group learning (classroom or virtual).
- Participants complete self-paced e-learning courses, then meet virtually or face to face for discussion and group exercises.
- Offers the best of both worlds: the convenience of e-learning with the benefits of group discussion and learning from peers.
- Classroom and virtual materials support and build upon individualized e-learning. Group time can immediately turn productive with interaction and discussion.
Using a proprietary burst learning model, The Leadership Journey delivers practical, actionable information that participants can immediately apply back on the job to solve real workplace challenges. Follow-up tools ensure that participants are held accountable for achieving results.
Using a proprietary burst learning model, The Leadership Journey delivers practical, actionable information that participants can immediately apply back on the job to solve real workplace challenges.
Follow-up tools ensure that participants are held accountable for achieving results.
“After searching for solutions and evaluating many products, we chose to invest in The Leadership Journey. We liked the fact that the curriculum could be used online and in a group setting.”
Tom Fredrickson, Director of Human Resources, Consolidated Utility Services, Inc.
Try a Workshop for Free
Try a Workshop for Free
Are you ready to help your leaders develop the core leadership skills needed for success?
If so, get immediate access to all group and e-learning resources for the workshop “Build Accountability and Trust with Positive Confrontations.”
- View and print participant, facilitator, and follow-up guides.
- Play the video and complete the note-taking guide.
- Answer pre-assessment and post-questions.
- Learn what discussion questions and role play exercises participants will complete.
- Take the e-learning course.
- Quiz yourself on what you learned.
- Complete a personal action plan.
Leadership Training Workshops for Any Organization
We’ve served more than 1200 organizations representing companies of all sizes from all industries. Here are a few you may recognize:
A Few More Testimonials from Happy Clients
“After just a few courses, the communication and interaction we are experiencing from the participants are amazing. The teams are so excited with the courses.”
Hayworth Communities, Inc.
“The workshops are going great. I think some people are surprised at how well they are being received by all levels of management.”
Human Resources Manager
“The program is written in such a way that the entire leadership team has been able to take away something new from each lesson.”
Human Resources Manager
ACS Government Solutions
How can we help?Request a demo, pricing, trial course, or ask a question.