Online Supervisor Training to Develop High-Performers
Short 30 Minute Modules Teach Practical How-to Skills
Get instant access to a course on conflict resolution.
The Leadership Journey™ is an online supervisor training program for new and experienced supervisors and team leaders.
With our proprietary burst learning model, short modules teach supervisors practical how-to skills they apply to real workplace challenges. Follow-up tools hold them accountable for applying new skills on the job.
Supervisors are often promoted because of their technical skills—not their leadership potential. Too often they come into supervisory roles without the knowledge, background, or experience to manage and lead their teams effectively.
What happens if supervisors don’t have the right leadership skills?
Table of Contents
“We are seeing improved communication, stronger teams, and improved consistency. We are getting so much value out of our investment and the impact is bigger than I ever imagined.”
Lynn Fair, Vice President Human Resources, Brook + Whittle
Supervisors Develop 10 Essential Skills
1. Accountability & Taking Ownership
- A six-step accountability model.
- How to find time to hold employees accountable.
- Follow-up strategies that ensure accountability and improve trust.
2. Change Management
- How to prepare themselves and their teams for change.
- How to respond to adversity with positive thinking and positive actions.
- How to use change to propel their teams to new performance levels.
- How to overcome resistance, denial, and defensiveness when coaching.
- How to turn coaching moments into action-orientated results.
- How to leverage experience and potential from both newer and more seasoned employees.
- A simple five-step method for giving clear directions.
- How to give constructive negative feedback in a way that boosts morale.
- How to ensure that employees take action – the first time they are asked.
5. Conflict Resolution
- How to gain the confidence to proactively address issues and create buy-in.
- Techniques to manage emotions before they get out of control.
- How to rebuild difficult relationships.
- How to give clear directions and confirm understanding.
- How to define their teams’ priorities.
- How to transfer knowledge and empower their teams to do the work—instead of doing the work themselves.
7. Motivation & Attitude Improvement
- How to overcome obstacles they may unknowingly be creating.
- How their attitude affects motivation.
- Five things they can do to maximize effort from their entire team, even the poor performers.
- How to develop productive habits that will improve effectiveness.
- The “magic” that results from doing more than is expected.
- How to be consistent in words and actions.
9. Relationship Building
- How to develop strong relationships with their teams.
- How to be the type of supervisor their team members will come to with problems.
- How to build camaraderie between departments while breaking down workplace silos.
- How to leverage each team member’s unique skills.
- How to overcome communication challenges.
- How to build accountability among team members.
“The Leadership Journey far exceeded our expectations. The skills taught have been very easy to apply. The results have been very apparent, very quickly.”
Gary Cameron, Human Resource Director, Mitchell Grocery Corporation
Who Should Attend This Training?
In many organizations, supervisors are promoted into supervisory roles based on their technical skills, not their leadership potential. They need to learn how to lead and manage their team.
Those who will benefit most from The Leadership Journey include new and experienced:
- Team Leaders
- High-potential Employees
Benefits of Online Learning
The Leadership Journey is quick and easy to roll out, use, implement, and manage. E-learning courses can be delivered using our learning management system (LMS) or yours.
There is no need to find a convenient time when everyone can can attend group learning. With self-paced learning supervisors take courses when it is convenient for them based around their schedule.
With this online supervisor training program:
- Supervisors have complete flexibility over when, where and how they learn.
- It is easy to follow up and hold supervisors accountable.
- Supervisors progress through short courses at their own pace and can retake courses when they like.
- Supervisors receive the same consistent messages regardless of where they’re located or when they take courses.
- Optional, but included, group study materials allow supervisors to reinforce skills with group discussions.
“The Leadership Journey is one of the first things I would implement if your organization is struggling with supervisory development. It’s so easy, fast, well done, and engaging.”
Jim Kramer, VP of People Operations, Shamrock Foods Corporation
How Does It Work?
Supervisors Learn and Apply Practical Skills
The Leadership Journey uses a proprietary burst learning model with a focus on practical application.
Rather than overwhelm supervisors with too much information, The Leadership Journey offers bite-sized modules that are spaced out over time. This gives supervisors the time to develop and apply each new skill set before learning the next.
Built around adult learning principles, The Leadership Journey uses five simple, but extremely powerful steps:
Step 1 – Learn
Supervisors learn practical how-to skills from a short 30 minute module that gets right to the point. Each skill is explained step-by-step, making it easy to understand.
Step 2 – Internalize
Supervisors associate skills with their own workplace situations. Through a series of open-ended questions, supervisors learn how their new skills can be used on the job.
Step 3 – Apply
Supervisors create personal action plans that make it easy for them to apply their new skills to their workplace challenges. The immediate application of new skills sets The Leadership Journey apart from other online supervisory training programs.
Step 4 – Follow-up
Follow-up tools hold supervisors accountable for applying their action plans on the job. Follow-up can take place in person, one-on-one with the supervisors’ manager, with a training buddy, or mentor and electronically.
Step 5 – Repeat
This powerful process is repeated every two to four weeks for each of the core supervisor skills. A turnkey roadmap drives repeatable and predictable results that lead to cycles of continuous improvement.
“Too many times employees attending training and are hit with a fire hose of information. They are so overwhelmed that no real change is realized. The Leadership Journey is one subject at a time so our leaders have time to apply what is learned. Follow-up reinforces new skills.”
Barry Crandall, Human Resources Manager, Richland Industries
Supervisors Achieve Quick Results with Online Training
Online supervisor training is a convenient and flexible way to improve supervisors, their teams, and your organization. The Leadership Journey helps supervisors, their teams, and your entire organization.
Supervisors and their teams:
- Improve teamwork.
- Enhance communication and problem-solving skills.
- Improve confidence.
- Strengthen relationships with team and colleagues.
- Be proactive with problem-solving.
- Increase engagement and attitudes.
- Take more responsibility and initiative.
- Increase productivity.
- Have more satisfied, engaged and productive employees.
- Decrease accidents, improved safety.
- Spend less time dealing with “people problems.”
- Increase collaboration and decrease silo mentality.
- Reduce turnover.
- Improve the bottom line.
A culture of continuous improvement develops across the organization.
“The program is a great investment that provided tremendous value. Participant feedback has been very good.”
Jennifer Schmidtbauer, Director of Organizational Development, Raven Industries (View their case study.)
90% of Supervisors Never Apply What They Learn Online
The Leadership Journey’s online courses include printed, personalized action plans making it easy for supervisors to apply new skills in the workplace.
How Does The Leadership Journey Stand Out From Other Programs?
Leaders Solve Workplace Challenges with Personal Action Plans
The Leadership Journey’s online courses include printed, personalized action plans making it easy for supervisors to apply new skills on the job.
Supervisors walk away from each course with a personal action plan noting the specific steps they’ll take to apply their new skills to a workplace challenge. They’ll be held accountable for doing so.
Group Discussion Guides Reinforce Online Learning
Optional group-based discussions reinforce the skills supervisors learn during self-paced learning. Each course has group materials that support the skills learned in online.
With group discussions supporting online learning supervisors can learn through interactions and discussions with others.
Quick and Easy Follow-up Methods Hold Supervisors Accountable
The curriculum is designed from the ground up to be used in individual or group settings, online, or in a blended approach.
Regardless of how you choose to develop your supervisors, they all receive the same content, the same instruction, and the same opportunity for application.
Organizations Can See and Measure Results
Too often training efforts have little to no measurable impact once trainees are back on the job. With The Leadership Journey, participants actually apply what they learn in measurable ways.
Your organization will benefit from concrete results that you can easily measure as supervisors apply the skills they’ve learned.
The Leadership Journey is a Complete Turnkey Curriculum
The Leadership Journey is a complete training curriculum of twelve courses—you only need to find, research, and evaluate training once.
The Leadership Journey supplies all the materials and ensures continuity between courses and topics. You have complete flexibility of how, when, and where you offer training.
This supervisory training curriculum also has classroom, virtual, and blended learning delivery options available.
“The best part of the program is the follow-up piece. Too many times employers send their employees to seminars and training sessions, but there is no playbook for follow up. Business Training Experts showed me a playbook that I can have my team easily apply.”
Chad Hammerly, Plant Director, Ocean Spray Cranberries
Is this training a good fit for your supervisors?
Find out! Sign up for a course on conflict resolution.
Turn Supervisors Into High-Performers Who Meet Expectations
With The Leadership Journey online supervisor training your supervisors will learn practical how-to skills.
They’ll know when and how to use those skills back on the job. Your supervisors will benefit from:
Relevant, how-to skills that can be immediately applied in the workplace.
Bite-sized, 30 minute modules hold attention and help learners focus on specific skills.
Apply Skills on the Job
Using personal action plans supervisors apply practical and proven how-to skills to solve real workplace challenges.
Follow-up tools ensure accountability and provide the foundation for shared discussion and best practices.
Deliver Courses How You Want
Use our learning management system or yours. Group materials are included to reinforce new skills with discussion and practice.
World-Renowned Subject Matter Experts
A wide range of recognized experts that know how to get to the point and have more than 27 business and leadership books to their credit.
Reinforce Online Learning with Group Discussion
Discussion, role-play, and follow-up guides are included for optional group learning.
How can we help?Request a demo, pricing, trial course, or ask a question.